Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sick Baby & Naughty Dog



It's only Tuesday and it had already been quite a week. Let me just start by saying how lucky I am to have such a great husband and furlough's have never been so bitter sweet. Nate has the week off but had a bone scan and MRI for his wrist yesterday. Yes, his wrist he hurt making the ESPN-catch-of-the-season last summer playing softball (reminder: the titanium rod in his leg is also from playing softball). So to save a buck (or a couple hundred) we took Jax out of daycare for the week. Nate did drop him off at the Mayo Back-up daycare so he could go to his appointments. He got a call at 11am saying Jax had a fever and needed to be picked up in an hour. Well, his bone scan was at noon and he already had the injection for it so I had to leave work to go get Jax. He had been plugged up for quite some time and recently starting having a cough, but this was the first time daycare had called us with a fever. He was sleeping when I got there. I called the doctor before I even left the daycare and they got us an appt in 20 minutes! I raced to the doctor (and actually found parking) just in time. Turns out our little pumpkin has an ear infection and RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). They started him on Amoxicillin and we were to continue giving tylenol. I ended up taking the second half of the day off and I'm glad I did. The baby I know that usually is laid back and content would start crying the second you set him down. I could just tell by his eyes he didn't feel good (note, I was looking at his eyes!). I had a CPR class last night and didn't get home until 10:30pm so Nate played Mr. Mom once more. I wasn't laying in bed for 45 minutes before Jax was up crying. We were up and down all night. When he got up in the morning both his eyes were crusted shut! I knew instantly: pink eye! It just made me sick to my stomach that I had to leave for work. Mr. Mom called and brought him in once again to the doctor. One new antibiotic and one parking ticket later he was finally home and could breath. Unfortunately, Nate isn't feeling the best either right now. When Nate got back, he found that lovely surprise from IkewhoeatsanythingBurgess. Notice there is something missing from that picture- the nipple! Gone- down the hatch. Nate noticed the nasal aspirator (aka booger sucker) was gone too. We were convinced he ate this too. To our amazement, he must have brought it upstairs and then his ADHD got the best of him and he dropped it beside the bed. He would have really been in the doghouse for that because that was a brand new one I just got from the doctor yesterday. He was doing so good and now all of a sudden he is getting into things. He must have ate a bunch of diaper wipes because we were out for a walk the other night, we look over and he's walking in the middle of the road, all hunched over funny with frickin' diaper wipes hanging out of his butt!! Jax is suppose to have his 6 month check up on Friday (that will be 3 trips to the doctor in 5 days) but I'm not sure they will want to give him shots when he's not feeling the best. And I'm not sure I want to put him through anymore trauma either. Let's hope tomorrow is less eventful, that Ike's pica doesn't act up, that Jax starts feeling better, and that he takes some good naps for dad. It is so hard leaving him when he doesn't feel good, but it's so much easier knowing Nate is home with him. Thank you McNeilus for sucking and giving my husband a week off to take care of our sick child.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Wendalin! Poor Jaxon, that is awful. I hope he starts to feel better soon. It is so sad when little ones get sick :( I bet Ike noticed that Jax was getting more attention due to his sickness and wanted more attention too, so he decided to eat the nipple and wipes. I'm sure you weren't happy about it but I am still laughing at Ike's pica problems!

    ReplyDelete